Colorful Kayaks

Colorful Kayaks

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Schools

While I'm spending time previewing and going to visit new homes sites I'm also learning about local shool information. They have a "Choice" system here as well as magnet schools. I've also visited one of the private schools. So far it has been very impressive, what's being offered, the dedication and the enthusiasm of the educators. There's a lot of pressure to pass the FCAT's but there's a magnet school that focuses on Communitcation first and scores second. Those children start a half hour a day in Spanish from K on to 5th grade. They write and produce TV shows, they include music, dance and recess in their day and generally allow them to be kids! My children are grown now but I have seen the emphasis on curricula so strong that sometimes you just wish the kids could go out and catch fireflies in the evening instead of such a busy schedule.

No comments: